Photographing my travels

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Eriskay, South Uist and Benbecula

I caught my ferry at 15.45 for a short hop to Eriskay.  Met a couple from Motherwell and a keen birdwatching couple.  I kept bumping into the Motherwell couple on the road through the islands.  Zoomed straight to my B & B at Milton - The Caloraidh B &B where I was welcomed by Mary Bell.  A very comfortable  stay with lots of good recommendations from Mary.  Breakfast was excellent - I would definitely stay here again.  I explored Eriskay on Sunday but visited the wheelhouses at Daliburgh first.

On way to North Eynort to see if I could see otters

Fushias at the end of the loch
Wheelhouses


Beach on Eriskay

Ferry from Barra

The sea is really that colour

Bog cotton

Eriskay from a higher vantage point

Waiting for the rain to stop

Back on South Uist spotted this redshank calling

Oyster catchers
On Monday I left my South Uist accommodation with a kind gift of eggs from Mary.  Explored more of South Uist, visiting the Howmore chapels, Loch Drudiberg and Loch Sqioport then on to Iochdar and to Benbecula.  Met a friend of Jenny and Murdo's - Sarah who is walking from Lewis to Barra.  She had just passed the Iochdar road when I spotted her and managed to shout out to her.  We had a chat on the road and then I let her get on with her walk.

One of the many freshwater lochs on South Uist

South Uist traffic jam

Howmore chapels

Eriskay pony on the Loch Druidbeag road

From an abandoned house


This foal went to the front of my car when I was going to drive off.  The ponies tried to chew my car too!

Picturesque sheep
 I arrived at the Borve guest house on Monday and a fast internet speed has meant I have been able to catch up with the blog.  Yet another very comfortable B & B with a lovely welcome.  I have been lucky enough to meet up with the Queen's baton relay.  It came to Lionacleit school on Tuesday 8th July from Barra and South Uist.  I drove into Lochmaddy on North Uist for lunch then a walk though the Langlass woodlands to the stone circle of Pobull Finn

Piping in the baton

The baton in Benbecula


Part of the stone circle
Langlass woodland - arty image!
A memorial to Hercules the bear who escaped on North Uist in 1980

1 Comments:

  • The ponies at Loch Skipport by Loch Druidibeg on South Uist are Shetland ponies .. NOT Eriskay ponies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home