Photographing my travels

Monday, June 13, 2022

Lewis and Somerset with friends

 I was in Lewis for about 2 weeks with Debbie so we tried to get as much photography in as possible.

First day was a visit to Vatisker beach with a pleasant morning with the dunlin and knot.





Artic tern on my wetland survey

Bluebells in Lews castle grounds

Tree cover in Lews castle grounds

Then a trip to Harris with an overnight at Horgabost in Nyah.

A lamb by the waterfall on the Rhenigidale road

Sheep at Northton

A lovely day around Uig with images of both deer and white tailed eagles.

Bog bean








Beach at Mealasta

Adult with one year old juvenile

We had a trip to Callanish.  I tried out some multiple exposures on the stones.

If you look closely there is a peacock near the top of the bus



Last day out was to Ness.  Butt of Lewis, St Moluags church then a walk on Eoropie beach



Gold

or Silver



A tortieshell butterfly at the window


Then we drove down to Somerset stopping off at Slimbridge.  I stayed with Debbie in Chard and she kindly took me into Taunton so I could meet a few friends.  On Friday Debbie, Linda and I went to find Burnt tip orchids.  A lovely day on the nature reserve.  On Saturday I met up with my family.  My nephew James and his fiancee Zoe had come over from Canada.  Then another day of photography on the Somerset Levels.


First time I have seen a ruff


Kingfishers have returned to Slimbridge

Wild cranes at Slimbridge


Skylark

Burnt tip orchids


Corn bunting

Common orchid with 6 spot burnet moth

Glastonbury from the Somerset levels

Marsh harrier

The same grebe having a shake

Look carefully as the bittern dives in the reeds

Marsh harrier


At last I captured a wren

Damesel 

I flew back from Exeter via Glasgow.  Slight problem at Glasgow as Loganair had changed my 'direct flight' to Monday which I accepted.  Apparently I should have also accepted the second bit to Stornoway - so I found the flight to Stornoway was on the original day of Tuesday!!!!! Luckily I managed to squeeze on the Monday flight and returned safely.  

Have spent the past couple of weeks on an archeologic dig on Sober Island which was very interesting and I appeared on BBC Alba - photos on the next post.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home