Photographing my travels

Sunday, June 04, 2023

Trip to the Solway Firth

 What a beautiful part of Scotland.  I visited the WWT site a few years ago and thought I should return to explore further.  Luckily my friends Linda and Pete and their dog Tetley agreed to meet up and we spent a lovely week here.  Sunshine all week.  

I stopped off at the Culloden moor campsite and drove down on Thursday to meet up with them at a campsite near Rockcliffe where we stayed for two days.  We had a good walk into Rockcliffe on Friday through bluebell woods and along the coast.

Bluebells on the island




Icm bluebell blend

icm Pete and Tetley

Chaffinch singing

On Saturday we moved on to New England Bay via Castle Douglas where we picked up supplies.  A town I will return to as it needed further time.  New England Bay is a large campsite right on the beach.  Another walk the next day followed by a swim.

Icm view of the beach

Tetley 

Gannet dive

I cannot resist taking oystercatchers

Another gannet dive

I thought this was a turnstone until I saw the image on the computer and saw it was a ringed plover

Tetley likes a swim

Another gannet dive 

Returning to the sky

We heard about the Isle of Whithorn from some campers at the first campsite so we booked into the Burrowhead campsite.  On Monday at a suggestion from Pete we went to PortPatrick.  Another place to return to and explore further.  

Black guillemots



Linda and Tetly


Portpatrick panorama

Tetley

After a picnic in a very windy spot we drove down the peninsula to Burrowhead campsite.  A gorgeous drive by the coast.  A little panic as the water was off and there was work on fixing the pipe.  We went into Isle of Whithorn for a look around and a cup of tea.  Luckily by the time we got back the water was on.  Another good walk on Tuesday from the campsite into Isle of Whithorn and back.  In the evening we went to the site where the Wicker man was burnt in the film.  Much of the filming took place in this area.

A colourful house in Isle of Whithorn


On the walk from the campsite into Isle of Whithorn



Not sure what the caterpillars are but there were lots of them


Rooks in the distance


I love poppies

Boat trip





Did I say I love poppies





Spotted the hare in the field

Pete spotted the deer

Stumps from the Wickerman

We all left on Wednesday.  South for Linda, Pete and Tetley and North for me.  I stopped off at the Broadslap Farm campsite near Perth.  It is a fruit farm but no picking when I was there.  A fabulous spot.  I was lucky enough to hear a familiar bird sound and spotted the yellowhammer on the telegraph line.  I walked down to the entrance of the farm in the evening.  The campsite is right by a train line but the noise of the trains wasn't disturbing.  

This fawn was in the road as I turned the corner, luckily I wasn't driving fast

He stayed long enough for me to wind the window down and then ventured into his hiding place

Icm of rape in barley field


Sheep are another animal I can not resist taking

I didn't see the bird when I took the picture

The A9 is behind the hedge behind the house

Then back to the ferry at Ullapool on Thursday with a stop in Inverness for supplies.  My next trip is with Immerse Hebrides on 11th June for a week.  Swimming on all the islands in the Outer Hebrides.



1 Comments:

  • A great trip, we must do another one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home