Photographing my travels

Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Grant Arms Hotel Christmas break 2023

 I decided to try something new for Christmas and booked into the wildlife hotel - Grant Arms.  The weather beforehand was up and down so I took an earlier ferry and spent a couple of days in Inverness.

Stornoway Christmas tree taken on the Friday before I left

I had a walk out to Merkinch nature reserve when I arrived near Inverness on Wednesday.  A grey day but I will definitely return again.  Good to walk along the bay.

Taken from Merkinch nature reserve

I booked into the Holiday Inn Express and took a bus into Inverness on Thursday.  A lovely walk along the river to the Botanic Gardens.  A good cup of coffee and a pleasant hour playing in the tropical house with icm.

Koi carp in the Botanic gardens

waterfall in Botanic gardens

Loch Ness and the Urquhart castle on Friday.  I think it rained all day but there is a cafe there and then lunch in Fort Augustus before returning.


Still wind and rain on Saturday as I drove to Grantown on Spey via Nairn.  Snapped a group of swimmers.  Shame I was too far away to join them.  Santa came to Grantown that evening.  Very grainy pics from my phone.  The camera couldn't cope.

Nairn beach with swimmers

waiting for Santa

Santa and his reindeer


There was a 6month old reindeer with them but I failed to make a photo
 of him.

On Sunday there was an excursion to Loch Garten and I saw my first crested tit.  I was given a lift by Paul who I knew from the Visual Art weekends and his wife Maggie who is a keen bird photographer.  In the afternoon I walked in Anagach woods which is not far from the hotel.

Nacreous clouds or mother of pearl clouds

seen on the way to Loch Garten

crested tit and coal tits

Just flown from the hand where it took the seed

silhouette of a treecreeper

Gt spotted woodpecker

Mother of pearl seen while I was in Anagach woods


reflection of the clouds


Beautiful trees

On Christmas Day I joined a walk along the river Spey.  After a big lunch, I didn't do much else.

Tuesday was a glorious day and I joined a trip to Roseisle.  It took a long time to get there as the driver in front was being very cautious and driving at 20mph.  The road was not that bad!!  I had a beautiful walk in Anagach woods.  It was like a winter wonderland and I think I will be okay for a Christmas card this year.

the slow car in front 











The moon greeted me at the end of my walk

Rain, sleet and wind returned on Wednesday and I decided to just drive up to Ullapool and wait for the ferry.  The people going south suffered much more and a few returned to the hotel for an extra night.  Paul and Maggie were stuck on the A9 until rescued at 5.15pm.  Snow, flooding and trees down being the cause.  I was lucky as the ferry was the only one of the day and went on time.

Glad to be home and may not be off island now until April.  Next blog post might be from my retreat in Uig at end of January or the photo workshop with My Beautiful Scotland in Harries at end of February.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home